Video Conferencing – Zoom
What Is Zoom?
Zoom uses HD video conferencing and screen-sharing to provide rich, interactive communication for up to 50* people at a time. It offers mobile-screen sharing, document annotation, session recording, and works across desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. There’s also a free teleconference number so people can call into the meeting, if they do not have a webcam. *You can see 25 participants at a time.
Note: Zoom is Free. You can sign up for a basic account, use your Lehman email address. A free account allows you to host meetings up to 40 minutes at a time. If you need a Zoom pro account, please contact the Office of Online Education.
Why use Zoom?
- Hold virtual office hours
- Use the recording feature to save a session for future reference, and share it with people who couldn’t attend in real-time
- Bring in a guest speaker from a remote location
- Share a document or presentation, and annotate it while you discuss it together
- Give keyboard and mouse control to another participant – great for troubleshooting
- Use two monitors to see participants on one screen, and the presentation on the other
- The only person who needs an account is the person who originates the meeting
- Hold quick group/department meetings
- HD video- and audio-conferencing (with a phone line if folks need to call in) for up to 50 people at a time
- Active and spotlight speaker—very useful for meetings with multiple participants
- Private and group chat during the meeting
- Accessible from mac, windows, iOS, and android devices
- Screen Sharing—desktop and mobile—(e.g. revise an article prior to submission)
- Video recording—MP4 recording and playback—screen annotations (e.g. record an exam review session and put it on Blackboard so students who could not be there in person can access the information or record a technology training session or simply a meeting and share it online with those who could not attend)
- Schedule meetings in advance and schedule recurring meetings—a link that is stable for one year—(e.g. office hours, advising, talking with students at their clinical sites, quick meetings with people on another campus)
- Lehman College Getting Started PDF
- Lehman College Self-Check
- Getting Started Desktop Computers / iOS Devices
- Features Overview Desktop Computers / iOS Devices
- Recording a Meeting Desktop Computers
- Schedule Zoom Meetings with Outlook Zoom Web Lehman PDF
Drop in for a quick conversation with the Office of Online Education staff or contact us directly: